Product packaging definitely impacts sales. Competition is strong in the marketplace and there are benefits for companies who have their packaging attract the eyes of consumers. Also, it protects products during transit, in stores, and while being used by customers.
With so much on the line, companies are wise to understand how their customers will be affected by their product packaging and place a high level of importance on it.
Five ways product packaging affects sales
- Product packaging protects products. Companies spend valuable time and money on research and development for the products they offer. Some also spend valuable resources on marketing to determine the best ways to advertise their products to their most likely customers. However, some would benefit greatly from investing more in the packaging they use to protect their products because damage occurs during shipping, while in stores, and throughout normal use by consumers. This results in lost revenue, and it also creates unhappy customers. Truthfully, there aren’t many purchasing experiences more frustrating than one being purchased only to have it become un-usable due to its packaging not being durable enough to withstand normal use in normal conditions.
- Product packaging draws attention. Brands often sell more products as a result of the product packaging they use. For example, it can be assumed that face wash will clean a person’s face and toothpaste will clean their teeth. However, when they’re standing in a store in front of many different brands trying to figure out which one to buy, product packaging is the first thing they notice. Packaging that grabs their attention and highlights its product’s value often creates more sales because of how much attention it receives.
- Product packaging reflects quality. The integrity, quality and legitimacy of products are generally portrayed in the quality of their packaging. An easy way to explain this is to have someone think of a product they feel is of high quality that they could purchase at a retail store. If it was being sold in a plain paper bag, what affect would that have on their confidence in purchasing it, especially if they had never used it before? More than likely they would question it’s integrity, quality and legitimacy, and then choose an alternative option they could easily learn more about. However, when product packaging is attractive, of good integrity, and communicates an appealing, believable value proposition to prospective buyers, the product it represents usually sells more often.
- Product packaging informs prospective buyers. Consumers generally appreciate companies who place messages on product packaging to inform them of facts and other valuable information about products they are thinking about buying. Precise, trustworthy information is helpful, and awareness of what they are buying helps consumers feel more confident about their choices.
- Product packaging offsets price. Many consumers prefer to purchase products that look pretty when displayed in their homes. This is especially true if a product is going to remain visible for an extended period of time. Many shoppers also like to spend their money buying products from companies they believe align with their own beliefs and values. When companies present good looks and favorable values on product packaging, consumers will sometimes spend a little more money to buy products from them.
In addition to these five points, there is one more consideration that is probably just as important. For anyone who may think investing heavily in product packaging isn’t worth the time or money, consider the lost revenue that could result from poor packaging.
Get outstanding product packaging from MediaFast
We value the time and money of our customers. We completely understand how much of an impact product packaging makes on revenue, and we love helping companies who work with us achieve the greatest results.
With all of the marketing products we offer, we strive to keep ourselves on the cutting-edge of technology. We only use brand new components from excellent manufacturers, and customer satisfaction is our number one priority. As a result, we are a leader in our industry and we completely understand that it is our dedication to our customers that will keep us there.